Spicy Chickpea-Sweet Potato Stew
I’m back in New Jersey after a longer than expected trip to see my friends and family in Florida. Today’s to-do list has a few more items than usual so I googled to find an easy lunch recipe that would provide me with some leftovers for work-day dinners. Crispy October weather made for a perfect stew day.
Tomatoes and chickpeas from the half-unpacked moving box of canned goods
Here’s the original recipe. I was missing a few ingredients so this is what I ended up using:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 cloves chopped garlic (instead of 3)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (instead of 1 jalapeno)
- 12 ounces of crushed tomatoes plus 3 chopped tomatoes (instead of 12 ounces plum tomatoes)
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed (in place of 1 pound Yukon potatoes)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups of organic salad greens (thrown in at the last minute, stirred until wilted)
I followed the instructions from the original recipe, subbing out things here and there and the stew turned out delicious. I’m inspired to whip up another pot of something this week. I have a few beets in the fridge. Any suggestions for those?
Sweet potatoes: full of anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber
Chickpeas blended with water add texture
The finished product
Do you have any quick and easy soup making tips?
I usually follow recipes closely, but I’ve noticed that you can’t go wrong with sauteed onions with a few spices. Add water/broth and some sort of canned tomato plus veggies and it always seems to turn out good.
What are your favorite soup ingredients?
I love mushroom soup! I also like white beans with spinach or kale.