Last night I went over to my friend Mariah’s house for a make-your-own lip balm party. She had all the ingredients ready, and it was a great girls’ night in. There were a few recipes to choose from, but I couldn’t resist the grapefruit almond version (it goes so well with my new body scrub).
Recipe: Grapefruit Almond Lip Balm
Ingredients: (makes two lip balms…and don’t worry about exact measurements)
- 2 tsp. grated beeswax or beeswax pellets
- 1 tsp. sweet almond oil (you could also use jojoba oil)
- 1½ tsp. cocoa butter (1-1½ wafers)
- 3-6 drops flavored oil (I used grapefruit, she also had lavender available)
- 1 vitamin E capsule
Above: empty tubes, mini scrapers, beeswax pellets and cocoa butter wafers
Left: Shea butter and essential oils
Fill a large sauté pan with about two inches of water. Warm over medium heat. Put the first three ingredients in a small aluminum pie pan.
Place the aluminum pie pan in the water. Allow ingredients to melt together. Stir. This takes about 5 minutes.
(Left: Steph keeping an eye on things)
Once the mixture is melted, use tongs to take the aluminum pan out of the water. Place it on a plate to cool for about one minute.
Then add the flavored oil and vitamin E.
If your mixture is still liquid you can just pour it in the tube at this time. Mine started to get a little chunky, so I used the mini scraper to fill the tube.
Level the top, put a cap on it, and let it rest a little while. As it cools you can use a sharpie to label it, or even decorate it with cute stickers.
Left: Jessica knows what she is doing. She had a secret stash of supplies and made us a quick batch of lotion.
Below: Mariah, the hostess with the mostess. She bought some supplies from a local shop. She ordered the rest from an online company called Mountain Rose Herbs.
Helpful Hints (courtesy of Mariah):
- Measurements are approximant
- Mix and match ingredients. For example, swap beeswax for shea butter (I accidentally swapped the cocoa butter for shea butter…didn’t really matter)
- Add the essential oils and vitamin E after heating, or else they will evaporate
- Natural stuff isn’t full of icky ingredients, so toss after 3 months
- Enjoy soft luscious, environmentally friendly lips!
Have you had success with any do-it-yourself beauty products?